Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Writers' Retreat

Last weekend I and five other members of the Moses Lake Muses did a "writers' retreat."  (I've never understood why such things are called a "retreat," which I associate with giving up and running away.  Maybe it's the running away part.)  The object was to write as many words as possible and find inspiration, work through ideas and problems, and just have fun and camaraderie.  Six writers in the same room meant one of two things: a muted cacophony of fingers tapping on laptops or talking, laughter, and not much else going on.  It was great.

I got about 4,000 words written on my work in progress (WIP) and some major plotting done.  Also through one of the exercises we did I came up with an idea for a story that probably isn't novel length but could be a short or a novella.  It starts with a teenaged girl waking up in Purgatory.

This was the Muses first retreat and I think it was a great success.  Francis Pauli put it together and did a great job.  The only downside was the accommodations were a little low-rent for me.  But my idea of roughing it is a hotel without 24-hour room service.

A great time, a productive time, and an exhausting time (I fell asleep at 8:00 P.M. the day it ended).

P.S.: This is my 200th post on this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment