Monday, February 18, 2013

RadCon After Action Report

So, I spent Friday and Saturday at RadCon science fiction and fantasy convention in Pasco, Washington.  I've never been to one before and this was pretty close to what I expected.  There were a lot of people in costume and some cosplay cuties but there were also just normal folk (and some women who desperately needed to wear more).  There was a lot of people wearing furry tails.  I asked one the significance (he was also wearing an Umbrella Corporation T-shirt) and he said the tail was just because it was cool.

I found it funny when the "Code of Conduct" started with "Don't be a pinhead" and then stated, "RadCon recommends that everyone follow the 3-2-1 rule. Everyday, aim to get three hours of sleep, 2 solid meals and 1 shower."

I also saw the biggest dog I've ever seen (an Irish Wolfhound that was probably almost four feet at the shoulders).  My childhood fear of large dogs was barely held in check.

I did a reading and was disappointed that only one person I didn't know (and my wife had recruited her) showed up.  That was Friday.  Saturday I was on three panels.  Now I assumed the people doing the panels were like me, a "Pro" (a writer who convinced the con organizers that he was worth letting in free and being on panels).  So I show up for my second panel about asteroid mining (since I wrote the book) and the two other panelists are scientists who actually know what the heck they are talking about (so glad I studied for that panel).  I think I may have had a deer-in-the-headlights look on my face.  But I think I held my own.

Then I go to my next panel on mixing genres.  Thought the other three panelists would be writers like me.  Well, one didn't show up, but the other two were best-selling fantasy author Tanya Huff and best-selling science fiction writer John Dalmas.  Talk about deer in the headlights!  Again, I think I held my own and Ms. Huff was very gracious to me and allowed me to promote and talk about my books.

I also handed out maybe a hundred bookmarks with my website on them.

All in all it was an amazing experience and I'm going back next year!  Ms. Huff said this is one of the biggest "cons" she goes to.  Also seems to be the easiest one locally to con into letting you be a pro.

2 comments:

  1. A very well-written and interesting blog, Mr. Townsend.

    You are such a talanted writer.
    A very loving fan.
    Jude

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the post with us. If you are looking for the replacement of your car headlights then get it replaced with 2018 f150 led headlights for good lighting performance.

    ReplyDelete